Saturday, June 9, 2012

Celebrating one month composting anniversary :)

Today, I celebrate a month of 'not sending wet waste to the landfill', i.e the anniversary of my pot composting activity.
Some pictures to give you an idea of what I have been upto. This is the sight for each morning. So I get up each morning and hurry to my backyard :)



I pile in my wet waste and then cover it with a layer of dry leaves.


My friends are: The rake (that helps me in stirring), the activator EM solution (kept in the coca-cola bottle), dry leaves, neem cake powder (to control maggots) and the lemongrass spray (that keeps the flies away and controls the odor) :D

Here is a pic of the middle tier pot which got filled up in around 20-25 days. Its in a semi-decomposted state (with everything inside it turned black!) Will take another month for it to get fully decomposed :)


3 comments:

  1. Dude I need details about the pot. How and in what ways is this better than the usual gamla.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shivani, this material is a tad bit stronger than the usual gamla material to store wet waste. so, it kinds of soaks the leachate to a good extent. Also, it has been designed to store good volume of waste because you can keep shifting to tiers which usually becomes tedious if you do it in separate gamlas. Also, compost falls into the lower most pot because the upper two pots have a mesh below.
    You can choose any method you comfortable with! Trial and error! But the idea is atleast start :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will post pics of how the hollow pot looks like..so you can better understand it. And you are welcome to pay a visit any day :) would be happy to show you how it works

    ReplyDelete