Wednesday, May 16, 2012

First week of composting


Did you know? May 6-12 was International composting Awareness Week (http://www.compostweek.com.au/core/background/).
So I am back with my second post. Why the wait? Well, since I promised last that I'l be writing on the methods of composting, I bring you first hand experience by introducing you all to a method I have adopted recently! Composting through a three tiered terracota pot structure. Check out: http://dailydump.org/ and to know more about how I chose this, read this blog: http://rozitasingh.blogspot.in/2012/05/when-dreams-come-true.html
Today I completed a week, so am sharing my experience for the first week of composting.

Day 1 & 2- SUPER EXCITEMENT. Couldn't wait to start. Had been waiting for this pot to arrive since a long time. So I started by spreading a thin sheet of newspaper at the base of the first tier and then added a layer of dry leaves. On top of this I piled my kitchen waste for the day and covered it with dry leaves (sawdust or torn newspapers for those who don't have dry leaves).

I begin my day with it! I get up in the morning, brush my teeth, have my glass of milk and then I carry the kitchen garbage to the backyard and start dumping :D No kidding here, but I really look forward to it each day. Then I wash my hands, get ready to leave for my internship.


When I reach there, I switch on my system and log onto Twitter, Linkedin and start reading articles on composting! Yes am suspicious, (no almost certain!) that I am falling in love with this activity.
And I say this each morning, "Can't wait for Day 45!" (the compost would be ready by then)

Day 3- Two teaspoons of neem cake powder (came with the pot) to control maggots (from now on to be put every week)

On Day 4 & 5- flies and little flies had arrived! I was worried with the smell and was wondering if the pot will get filled up before time. Started spraying lemongrass spray (said to keep the flies away), dunno if it helps much or not!

Day 6- Eureka! Smell gone, shrinkage happened, so more space is available. My doubts were cleared!

Here I would like to mention about the 'Importance of turning'. Remember its a compost bin and not a dustbin. So you need to stir the waste each day to enable aeration.


I was scared after reading all those stories on web on the importance of stirring and aeration. So followed it religiously.
But I realise that there are holes in the pot, it takes care of it naturally. This Daily Dump model has been tried and tested. (The organisation is based in Bangalore and have been doing this for years now!)

Have to add an activator once in a while (an organic bacteria solution diluted in water, came with the pot).
Confession- Can't wait to pour one capful, every 3 days! I wait for it,like its some magic potion
(To a composter, activators are infact like magic potions)


I also read about the C/N ratio, thought it was technical but infact its logical. Carbon is the brown part (dry leaves, saw dust etc) and Nitrogen is the green part (your kitchen waste, grass clipping etc.)
If you layer your kitchen waste with dry leaves/browns, you have got it right! You can never go wrong. So don't worry about the ratio much.
The correct moisture is provided by your kitchen waste automatically! And that is perfect to make a good compost. Your pile should neither be too dry nor too wet. As a beginner for making my first cycle I am relying on the information given on the website: http://dailydump.org/compost_troubleshooting and also I ask my doubts from the Daily Dump Clone (my supplier).

I want to photo record each day of my composting pot's inside but I refrain because of those messy hands. But tomorrow will ask for help from dad! Will post pics soon :)

Meanwhile, through my experience would like to dispel some myths cum fear!


Myth#1: For those who think its an unhygienic, disease prone activity! 
Beat this: I sometimes use my bare hands to shred my kitchen waste after I have dumped it coz it fastens the process. And no! one doesn't fall ill this way! Its all natural stuff you dealing with, and you can always go back and use a handwash to get clean. 
Remedy: Get used to getting muddy or use gloves if you are the paranoid types. Enjoy! its mother earth (literally)


Myth#2: For those who are so sure that composting means dealing with bad smell! 
No, this is not a smelly business. if you are following the steps correctly, stirring well, there won't be any smell! the trick is to always cover your kitchen waste with a layer of browns,well! And ensuring aeration. Also, even if there is some smell, its an outdoor product, so it won't affect you inside.
Remedy: Spray lemongrass spray and calm down your nerves with the fragrance.


Myth#3: What if this does not get decomposed? 
Remember not to panic, what does not get decomposed in the first cycle can go in the next one again. By the end of a cycle you anyways have to sieve the decomposted stuff, what you get is manure! What is left behind is semi or almost decomposed stuff but big in size or lumpy. Good News: This is your activator for the next cycle. YES, mixing this to your fresh pile speeds up the process. Hurray!
Remedy: If you are a beginner (like me)- Avoid putting tough to decompose stuff like mango seeds, corn cobs, etc. Try these later, after you feel confident, after the success of your first cycle :)

Last but not the least Myth#4: "I don't have space for composting". 
Look at the pic above. Since, it is a three tiered vertical structure, on the ground it occupies the same space than any potted plant you may be keeping. If you stay on the ground floor, it will happily take little space in your verandah and if you have a balcony then no issues! It will quietly occupy a corner and look beautiful :) I plan on painting mine to make it prettier.

I have run out of leaves, will have to go out and gather some from the lawn outside. Somehow covering with sawdust is not the same as covering with dry leaves. Know what i mean? Feels more natural!

Have come across few beautiful articles, so sharing the links here! Note the different composting bin designs.
http://montanawildlifegardener.blogspot.in/2012/05/composting-station.html
http://www.naturalnews.com/035875_composting_vegetable_gardens.html
http://earth911.com/news/2012/05/09/how-to-make-top-notch-compost-for-your-garden/

My recommended must read article for this week is this one:
http://earth911.com/news/2012/05/15/the-simple-science-of-composting/
The article speaks of a certain Mr.Singh who has transformed his farm in the dry Arizona to a rich, healthy forest like place! All through composting! Get inspired.....


No comments:

Post a Comment